Join our Canadian reinsurance company and experience the passion it takes to empower and advance our mutual insurance community!
We currently have an amazing opportunity to join one of Kitchener/Waterloo’s top employers as Actuarial Team Leader or Senior Actuarial Analyst. In this exciting position, you will have the opportunity to join a culture that prides itself on being honest, transparent, believes in delivering on their promises, and is committed to doing what is right.
The Actuarial Team Leader or Senior Actuarial Analyst holds a superior level of responsibility, using accepted actuarial practices to support stakeholder’s pricing strategies by ensuring rate adequacy and equity and risk management strategies by quantifying and monitoring the risk selection and risk measurement.
The duties include leading and executing pricing and risk selection modelling, planning, developing and monitoring rating and modelling implementation, providing rate review consulting services, estimating and reporting the portfolio performance prospectively and retrospectively. If hired as Actuarial Team Leader, responsibilities will also include leading the performance of a small technical team.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Participate in the design, implementation, and monitoring of an effective methodology for identifying, assessing, and reporting on the effectiveness of the Company’s internal control over actuarial reporting.
- Lead the ORSA risk measurement process to support the organization’s annual ORSA report by developing consistent models and methodologies to estimate actuarial sound risk measurements.
- Provide guidance and support to actuarial analysts in developing rating models for different lines of business and other business segments.
- Validate the data used in pricing/planning to ensure accuracy of the information.
- Review performance against targets, performs root cause analysis and provides recommendations for remedial action to address the underlying issues.
- Develop and review the rate monitoring process and tracks technical rate deviations.
- Lead the annual business plan process to support Finance Department through developing and estimating short-term and long-term loss projections and ensuring consistent models and methodologies are applied.
- Develop and create profitability reports for segments of interest.
- Research external benchmarks for dealing with low credibility lines.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Your Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with Mathematics and Statistics is required
- A minimum of three years’ experience in actuarial pricing
- For the team lead position: ACAS credentials and above is required; for the senior actuarial analyst role: working towards ACAS credentials is required
- P&C (re)/insurance experience preferred
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Strong data and statistical analysis skills
- Proficiency in spreadsheet software, database query software
Join Our Team!
Recognized as a Top 20 Employer for the Kitchener/Waterloo region and as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers by the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition, Farm Mutual Re has been operating since 1959. Farm Mutual Re is a general reinsurer, sharing in the property, automobile, liability and other risks originally accepted by insurance companies operating principally in Canada and the United States.
But we are more than a reinsurer! We build deep-rooted relationships that drive trust and success. Our relationships are the foundation that helps us empower and advance the mutual insurance community. We take pride in giving back to our community and the environment. We hold ourselves accountable for the promises we make to our members, employees, and business partners.
At Farm Mutual Re, we take our values to heart and put them into our work every day. Our office is in Cambridge, Ontario, off the 401, in a state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly building. We support a work from home environment that includes technology and home office furniture support. We focus on the wellness of our employees providing complimentary access to virtual and on-site fitness classes and one-on-one wellness coaching. Our culture is supportive of achieving a balanced, healthy, and family-oriented lifestyle. In addition to a great working environment, we invest in our employees continued professional development, offer a competitive salary, employer-paid benefits, pension plan and more.
How to Apply:
Don’t miss this opportunity to join our team. Visit our website and complete our Employment Application.
In accordance with our company values, Farm Mutual Re is committed to creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive work environment for all, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or age.
Farm Mutual Re is committed to providing accommodations and to achieving a barrier-free workplace for individuals with disabilities. Should you require an accommodation to participate in our recruitment process, we will support you by considering your individual accessibility needs.