COMMERCIAL PROPERTY & CASUALTY UNDERWRITING SPECIALIST
Join our Canadian reinsurance company and experience the passion it takes to empower and advance our mutual insurance community!
We have a unique and exciting opportunity for a Commercial Property & Casualty Underwriting Specialist within our Product Services Department. Within this exciting position, you will have the opportunity to join a culture that prides itself on being honest, transparent, believes in delivering on their promises and is committed to doing what is right.
The Commercial Property & Casualty Underwriting Specialist will focus on empowering the mutual community to strengthen its strategic position, increase premiums written, improve underwriting margins, and prudently target insurance exposures within complex classes of insurance. They will be responsible for researching, developing and delivering product and portfolio management solutions, services, and training to support primary underwriting strategies enabling membership growth and profitability.
As the successful candidate, you will:
Your Skills and Qualifications:
- Act as a subject matter expert and a key commercial (and Farm) resource providing guidance, support, mentoring and training to member companies, partners and internal staff.
- Research, develop, identify and evaluate new products, coverages, and services that support member company commercial/farm profitable growth. This includes but is not limited to: target class, risk exposures, coverage wordings, risk selection criteria, underwriting rules and guidelines, portfolio performance, workflows, processes, system requirements, new underwriting templates, tools and technical training.
- Research and develop content and resource documents, bulletins and other intellectual property for use by the mutual community and internal staff.
- Lead and/or participate on projects and key initiatives utilizing effective project and change management strategies.
- Monitor the competitive environment and assess emerging trends, threats and opportunities and make recommendations to the department.
- Influence, diagnose and develop recommendations to solve complex business and coverage issues.
- Assist members with product design, risk selection, and defining risk appetite.
- Assist in the development of pricing strategies necessary to successfully support the development of new products.
- Provide responsive service, attend member company visits to enhance member engagement, and develop in-depth knowledge of member companies and their needs.
- Analyze product, service, penetration and member results and make recommendations as necessary.
- Create presentations, training material and conduct technical training.
- Collaborate and build strong relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement by fully engaging with peers, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement strategies to support the success of the team.
- Perform a range of operational functions within the department.
Your Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong technical knowledge having ten (10) or more years of underwriting experience, with a minimum of seven (7) years commercial underwriting and product development experience. Farm underwriting experience will be a competitive asset.
- A college diploma or an equivalent level of education is required, preferably in business, agriculture or a related discipline.
- Completion or working towards a professional certification such as the CIP/FCIP or CRM.
- Proven success and solid ability to research, develop, identify and evaluate new commercial/farm products, coverages, and services including pricing, wordings, underwriting rules and guidelines, workflows, processes, system requirements, underwriting templates and tools.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to take initiative in an unstructured environment, exercise independent judgement, function with minimal supervision, and influence positive change.
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, analytical, interpersonal skills, and, the ability to prioritize competing demands and projects.
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to create engaging technical presentations.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail; high proficiency in business writing and communication.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Experience with business intelligence software and reports.
- Creativity, innovation and excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Thinks strategically and demonstrates a complement of product, pricing, and underwriting knowledge in decision making.
- Ability to work as a Team player who collaboratively supports and enables the success of others.
- Strong ability to develop positive working relationships with peers, project members and member company stakeholders.
- Marketing experience will be an asset.
- Flexibility for limited travel required.
Join Our Team!
Recognized as a Top 20 Employer for the Kitchener/Waterloo region and as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers by the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition, Farm Mutual Re has been operating since 1959. Farm Mutual Re is a general reinsurer, sharing in the property, automobile, liability and other risks originally accepted by insurance companies operating principally in Canada and the United States.
But…we are more than a reinsurer! We build deep-rooted relationships that drive trust and success. Our relationships are the foundation that helps us empower and advance the mutual insurance community. We take pride in giving back to our community and the environment. We hold ourselves accountable for the promises we make to our members, employees and business partners.
At Farm Mutual Re, not only are we invested in the success of our mutual community, but we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. Our office is in Cambridge, Ontario off the 401 in a state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly building. Our employees enjoy perks that include complimentary access to an on-site gym, yoga classes, ping-pong table and mini massages. Our culture is supportive of achieving a balanced, healthy and family-oriented lifestyle. In addition to a great working environment, we invest in our employees continued professional development, offer a competitive salary, employer-paid benefits, pension plan and more.
How to Apply:
Don’t miss this opportunity to join our team. Visit our website and complete our Employment Application by Friday, August 30, 2019.
Farm Mutual Re is committed to providing accommodations and to achieving a barrier-free workplace for individuals with disabilities. Should you require an accommodation to participate in our recruitment process, we will support you by considering your individual accessibility needs.